Tuesday, November 6, 2012

We're not going to Hell in a handbasket, and we're not going to Heaven on anyone's coattails, either.


President Obama is projected to have won a second term tonight. My Facebook feed is overwhelmed by a collective lament from many of my fellow Saints. I've already unsubscribed from several people because I just can't take the tribalism. Pretty much anyone who used the phrase "hell in a handbasket" was out.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't really celebrate an Obama win tonight, and I wouldn't have lauded a President Romney either. I have faith in God, and I know He loves me and all his children, here and around the world, just as much today as He did yesterday. He expects us to get up tomorrow and do so much better than we have been doing during this campaign. He expects us to be kinder, more compassionate, more careful not to cause harm to anyone, especially the people you value the least, be it the "soulless corporate pigs" or the "lazy,mooching 47%." He expects us to figure out His will and submit to it, stop being so damn sure of our own narrow perspective, and try-at least try!-to see the world from someone else's eyes. Kind of like Christ. When He suffered willingly for my sins. For yours.

I'm intrigued to see where we're going. I hope this will lead to less tribalism--less leaders and followers wielding metaphorical clubs in some clan war with their fellow citizens. I hope we all stop drawing lines in the sand, borders in our minds and our hearts, and instead take positive steps toward real friendship and connection with people who are different from us. In a day or two, when my heart heals a bit, I'll go and re-subscribe to those Facebook friends. It's a little thing, but one worth doing, I think.

I love my country. I'm grateful for it. I love this world; I love it's diversity, the inherent difference in land and life that makes it so lovely and intriguing. I love the One who created it, and I trust Him to see us safely through whatever the future holds. No president can solve our problems or lead us into exaltation. That belongs to One so much greater than Mitt Romney or Barack Obama. And His power will elevate the sun tomorrow morning when we wake.

Helaman 5: 12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

No comments: